Supporting and identifying mental health issues

It might be hard to see the signs

If a relative, friend or someone else you know has a mental health issue, they may tell you. But if they don't, any of these signs could suggest something's wrong:


  • Anxious or irritable Mood swings
  • Seeming withdrawn
  • Self-harming
  • Saying or doing unusual things
  • Struggling to cope with work or studies
  • Problems with concentration or memory

What you can do

Encourage them to talk to their CP, and show your support by telling them:

  1. You want to listen
  2. All CPs have mental health training and can help
  3. You can go with them
  4. Their CP won't share any information without permission
  5. Most mental health problems can be treated

What if they don't want help?

No-one can be forced to get help, but you can contact their CP for them.

Talk with their GP about their symptoms and behaviour, then the GP will decide if they need to take action.

If you think they're a serious risk to themselves or others, the NHS and social services may get involved.

England and Scotland: Call NHS Direct or NHS 24 on 111

Wales: Call NHS Direct Wales on 0845 46 47, or 111 ​

Northern Ireland: Call the person's CP or local social services.  Or the Emergency Social Work Service on 028 9504 9999 out of hours.

If you think the person is an immediate risk to themselves or others, Call 999

Find out more:   mental health UK


Malcare WordPress Security